Located in Beacon, New York, Dia Beacon presents Dia Art Foundation’s renowned collection of art from the 1960s to the present as well as special exhibitions, new commissions, and educational and public programs. Occupying a former box-printing factory on the banks of the Hudson River, the contemporary art museum spans nearly 300,000 square feet and features installations of works by some of the most significant artists of the last half century.
Dia Beacon seeks a part-time Gallery Attendant to work 2–3 days a week including weekends and most holidays. This is a year-round position, but the work hours will fluctuate seasonally based on the museum’s hours of operation.
The part-time Gallery Attendant is responsible for providing a positive, professional, and safe environment for Dia Beacon visitors to explore the collection. The position requires teamwork and knowledge of Dia Beacon’s collection as well as Dia’s history, mission, and sites. The successful applicant will enforce regulations as necessary to assist visitors and protect the collection. The ideal candidate for this role demonstrates superb customer-service skills, can work independently, and is an adept communicator.
- Monitoring visitor interactions with the collection and facility; assisting and guiding the public; professionally enforcing museum policies and procedures
- Communicating effectively about the collection and facility as well as Dia’s history, mission, and sites
- Providing museum and membership information to visitors’ proactively engaging at admission points to sell memberships and conduct surveys; assisting with ticketing and reservations as needed
- Providing coat and bag check assistance and general information about Beacon and the Hudson Valley area
- Monitoring all safety regulations and assisting in case of an emergency; attending health and safety trainings as required
- Assisting with special events and programming; helping Visitor Services managers with VIP visits as needed
- Coordinating and performing light maintenance of the building and grounds prior to, during, and after public hours
- High-school diploma or equivalent is required; college-level credits or degree in an arts field is preferred
- Experience in customer service and public-facing work is required
- Knowledge of Dia’s history, mission, and sites is preferred
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Requires prolonged periods of standing and/or walking in the gallery spaces
- May have lengthy periods of solitude in the gallery spaces if there are few visitors in the space
- Must be able to lift/carry or move up to 40 lbs
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick days, holiday pay, and participation in the 401(k) savings program with employer match. Employees have the opportunity to learn about the collections through presentations by curators, artists, writers, and historians. Staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations. Beacon area or Hudson Valley residency is preferred.
Please note that Dia has strict health and safety protocols in place to safeguard against COVID-19. All staff are required to follow safety protocols including wearing a mask at the workplace.
To be considered for the part-time Gallery Attendant position, please email a letter of interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or emails to addresses other than the one specified. Previous applicants need not apply as we keep resumes on file.
DEADLINE: open until filled
Dia Art Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, Dia will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.