Dia Art Foundation seeks a part-time custodian to work 20 hours per week at its Dia Chelsea office and galleries located in New York City. The expected start date for this position is March 29, 2021.
The custodian will report to the Facilities Manager and be responsible for cleaning and maintaining the Dia Chelsea gallery and office spaces as well as assisting the Facilities department with handyman duties. The hours for this part-time position are Thursdays and Fridays 12:15 to 6:15 pm and Saturdays 10:15 am to 6:15 pm. The schedule will vary to provide coverage for evening events.
To protect its staff and visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic, Dia has put into place strict cleaning and safety measures conforming with New York State’s restrictions for indoor art and entertainment venues. More information about our policies is available here.
- Clean and maintain the facility including floors, carpets, walls, equipment, offices, kitchens, public spaces, conference rooms, classrooms, corridors, entrances, exterior walkways, and building fixtures
- Regularly clean, sanitize, and service restrooms, ensuring there is an adequate supply of soap, paper products, and other necessary supplies
- Clean and sanitize all shared areas including staff break rooms and kitchen and pantry areas
- Collect and dispose of trash and other waste; collect, separate, and dispose of recyclable materials
- Remove snow from adjacent sidewalks and street using snow blowers and snow shovels; spread snow melting chemicals
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies either manually or by using hand trucks, J bars, and dollies
- Clean and maintain all equipment after use
- Under the guidance of the Facilities Manager, perform handyman tasks such as painting, light carpentry, and repairs
- Complete work orders in a timely manner and document all work performed
- Set up and break down event and meeting spaces including loading, unloading, and moving and arranging tables, chairs, and equipment
- Safely use, operate, and maintain equipment required for the job including forklifts, scissor lifts, pallet jacks, ladders, scaffolding, and other miscellaneous equipment
- Proactively notify managers concerning supplies that require restocking, safety issues, and maintenance repairs
- Work occasional evening events and cover day shifts as needed
- Maintain compliance with all local, state, and federal ordinances and codes relevant to the job
- Participate in all mandatory training related to safety and emergency procedures
- Perform related work as required or as requested by the supervisor
- High school diploma or GED strongly preferred
- Prior work experience with all the listed duties is required
- Knowledge of proper use and handling of cleaning supplies, work-related tools, and equipment is required; must have the ability to read labels, follow instructions, and use products and equipment in the prescribed manner
- Must be able to stay alert to potential safety and security concerns
- Must be able to work independently as well as with other team members
- Must be able to work professionally and congenially among office staff as well as with museum visitors
- Must be able to spend the entirety of the workday walking and moving around the workplace to complete duties including physical activities like pushing power-cleaning equipment, using hand tools and cleaning equipment, bending, stooping, climbing, reaching, and lifting on a frequent basis
- Must have flexibility to occasionally work evening events and other day shifts
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick days, paid time off or double pay in lieu of holidays worked, and participation in the 401(k) savings program with employer match. Staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations.
For consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PT Custodian” as the subject heading. Do not phone or email addresses other than the one specified.
Deadline to Apply: March 5, 2021
Dia Art Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, Dia will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.