Dia Beacon has an immediate opening for a Security Attendant with a current New York-state security-guard license. The Security Attendant will work 32 hours per week, including weekends and holidays. Schedule will fluctuate based on seasonal hours and department needs.
The Security Attendant will be part of a team responsible for providing a positive, professional, and safe environment for Dia Beacon staff, visitors, and its collection, as well as overseeing the security of the building and grounds. The Security Attendant will need to become conversant with Dia Beacon’s operational policies and procedures and enforce rules and regulations as necessary. This position requires teamwork with multiple departments, as well as the ability to exercise independent judgement.
- Perform security duties, including monitoring visitor and staff interactions as well as securing all areas at the beginning and end of each day
- Enforce museum policies and provide information in a polite, professional manner
- Manage and monitor all traffic coming in and out of the parking areas; this may include directing buses, tours, and groups entering the museum
- Monitor a closed-circuit video and an electronic security system; patrol the museum, checking galleries, doors, and windows
- Monitor all safety regulations and demonstrate ability to assist in case of an emergency; attend Dia Beacon’s Emergency Action Plan training, fire drills, and First Aid/CPR/Heart-Saver classes
- Assist with special events and programs; help visitor services with VIP visits as needed; assist with managing outside vendors during special events
- Coordinate and perform light maintenance of the building and grounds prior to, during, and after public hours
- Work at admission points providing museum information, coat/bag check assistance, and general information about the city of Beacon, Dutchess County, and other cultural locations in the Hudson Valley
- Current New York state security-guard license required
- Three years of security or related experience required
- Must be available to work flexible hours as needed, including extended hours, weekends, and most holidays
- Must have superb customer service skills, and the ability to deal diplomatically with difficult visitor interactions
- Professional appearance, demeanor, and demonstrated ability to work independently and with a team, required
- Must have ability to assess situations quickly and take astute and decisive action
- Ability to stand and stay alert for long periods of time both inside and outdoors throughout the year; ability to lift up to forty pounds
- High school diploma required; higher education preferred
- Knowledge of museums, contemporary art, or cultural organizations a plus
Qualified applicants may apply for this position by emailing a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Full-Time Security Attendant” as the subject heading. No phone calls or emails to addresses other than to the one specified. Employment references will be requested and offer of employment is contingent on a successful background check.
Dia provides a generous benefits package including health, life, and disability insurance plans and a 401(k) plan with company match. Time-off benefits include three weeks of vacation, ten days of sick leave, and paid days off in lieu of holidays worked. Additionally, staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations. Employees have the opportunity to learn about the Dia Beacon collection through presentations by artists, curators, historians, and writers.
Deadline: Applicants are invited to apply as soon as possible. Position is open until filled.
Dia Art Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.