Max Neuhaus was born in 1939 in Beaumont, Texas, and spent his childhood in Fishkill, New York, where he took his first steps as a musician. After a short return to Houston, he studied music at the Manhattan School of Music under Paul Prince’s mentorship. In 1958, he met John Cage, and this encounter determined his choice of becoming a professional percussionist. His extraordinary skills as a performer led him to travel the United States and Europe, accompanying and playing the compositions of such key figures as Karlheinz Stockhausen and Pierre Boulez. After a solo tour in Europe in 1965, Neuhaus started developing projects that went beyond the strictly musical realm; some of them focused on city soundscapes (Listen, 1966), others were sound pieces created for radio; others were site-specific pieces that he was the first to call “sound installations.” In 1968, as he started a research residency at the Bell Laboratories, Neuhaus decided to cease performing as a musician and fully devote himself to sound art. Since then, his work has been exhibited internationally in museums and galleries, including solo shows at the Museum of Modern Art, New York (1978); Musée d’art moderne de la ville de Paris (1983); and the Kunsthalle, Bern (1989). He was also included in Documenta 6 (1977) and 9 (1992), Kassel; the Whitney Biennial, New York (1983); and the Venice Biennale (1999). In addition to Times Square (1977) and Time Piece Beacon, both of which are in Dia’s collection, permanent sound works by Neuhaus are installed in Graz, Austria; Geneva, Switzerland; Bern, Switzerland; Turin, Italy; Bordeaux, France; and Kassel, Germany, among other locations. In 2008, an exhibition of Neuhaus’s drawings was organized by the Menil Collection, Houston, which coincided with the inauguration of a new installation, Sound Line. Max Neuhaus passed away on February 3, 2009, at his home near Naples, Italy.