Dia Art Foundation, Rights and Reproductions Associate
Dia Art Foundation, based in New York City, is committed to advancing, realizing, and preserving the vision of artists. A nonprofit founded in 1974, Dia fulfills its mission by commissioning single artist projects, organizing exhibitions, realizing site-specific installations, and collecting in-depth the work of a focused group of artists of the 1960s and 1970s. In addition to its acquisition and exhibition program, Dia presents long-term projects in the United States and internationally, and produces scholarly publications, symposia, and events.
Dia seeks a Rights and Reproductions Associate for its Publications department. Reporting to the Publications Manager, this position will be responsible for supplying images to internal departments, fulfilling external image requests, adding new images to and maintaining the image archive (digital asset management system), researching, gathering, and securing permissions for images for Dia publications and other printed and digital materials, hiring photographers and scheduling photo shoots, ensuring proper crediting and caption information on all images, and assisting in general tasks for the Publications department as needed.
- Research, request, and organize images for Dia publications; secure all necessary permissions and copyrights for images for publication; research, compile, and fact check image captions and photo credits; track photography permissions and artist and estate fee budgets for individual publications to ensure all publications stay within budget
- Fulfill image requests for Communications, Curatorial, Development, and other departments as needed; ensure proper crediting and caption information for all shared images
- Assist Publications Associate and Senior Graphic Designer with image selection for printed materials and publications
- Input all new images into digital asset and/or web content management systems in consultation with the Director of IT; manage accuracy and consistency for all image information and metadata; maintain existing images in archive
- Manage and track all requests for image rights and online digital media rights; when necessary, traffic requests to internal staff or artist studios for approval
- Scan and store archival transparencies and slides; organize physical image archive
- Hire photographers; schedule and direct photo shoots of all Dia exhibitions and public programs and events in coordination with Curatorial and Communications departments
- Obtain clearances for Dia photography, video, and digital media as needed
- Process invoices for reproduction and copyright fees
- Other duties as assigned by the Publications Manager
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum three years of related experience with an arts or nonprofit organization or equivalent
- Understanding of and ability to communicate copyright issues as they pertain to all facets of Dia’s image use needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills; proficiency with content management systems and Photoshop
- Ability to organize and oversee a variety of projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of contemporary art and familiarity with Dia’s history and programs required
Dia provides a competitive salary and generous benefits package including health, life, and disability insurance plans, a 401(k) plan with company match and paid time off. This is a full-time position in Dia’s New York City office. The work schedule is forty hours per week, 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, however, additional hours may be occasionally required based on business needs.
Qualified applicants may apply for this position by e-mailing a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Rights and Reproductions Associate” as the e-mail subject heading. No phone calls or e-mails to addresses other than the one specified.
Dia is an equal opportunity employer.